Psoriasis is a condition of the skin that can keep you awake all night if not controlled well. This condition can leave you feeling groggy and tired the next morning if you don’t know what to do so that you curb the symptoms.
If you already have psoriasis, the best you can do is protect your skin and prevent any flare-ups. In this article, we highlight some things you can do to prevent your condition from worsening.
What causes Psoriasis to worsen?
Sometimes Guttate Psoriasis spreading can happen randomly. It means the flare-up can happen because of some triggers, with the severity varying from one person to the other. Therefore, it is important to find out what may be causing your flare-ups to worsen. These are some of the triggers that most studies have linked to Psoriasis worsening:
- Too much stress – the least you can do is put yourself under stress when you have Psoriasis. Chronic stress can cause Psoriasis to flare up. The condition itself can be a major cause of stress.
- Staying in cold and dry weather – the weather is another factor that determines whether your skin condition will worsen or not. As the temperature drops and the air gets dry, your Psoriasis symptoms tend to worsen with time.
- Trauma to the skin – Your Psoriasis can worsen in case of any trauma to the skin. Some of the trauma you should avoid includes blockers, anti-malarial drugs, insect bites, and cut that can worsen the condition.
- Your weight – your BMI is another factor that may contribute to your Psoriasis worsening with time. If you are living with obesity, you are at a high risk of developing Psoriasis. Therefore, you should work out and take a balanced diet to cut unnecessary weight.
Other infections and health conditions like HIV and Streptococcal infections can easily cause your Psoriasis to worsen.
5 things you can do to prevent Psoriasis flare-ups
1. Avoid sunburn
Staying all day in the scorching sun or dry and cold conditions can only worsen Psoriasis. Having enough sun is good for your health because it is a good source of Vitamin D. However, burning in the sun for long hours can only worsen the Psoriasis condition. Sunburn is a major cause of Psoriasis flares.
You can avoid sunburn from causing Psoriasis flares by wearing sunscreen whenever you go out in the sun. Wear sunscreen and limit how long you expose your skin to the sun.
Click Here: tutflix
2. Take Vitamin D supplements
The latest research has established that people with Vitamin D deficiency are more likely to suffer Psoriasis in winter. It means taking foods such as salmon, milk, and fortified cereals rich in Vitamin D can help prevent the risk of developing this skin condition.
Maintain sufficient levels of Vitamin D in your body to limit the risk of worsening Psoriasis if you are already infected. It is possible to get more vitamin D from milk, burning on natural sunlight, and taking Vitamin D supplements.
3. Treat Melatonin
There are ongoing studies to establish whether can Melatonin make Psoriasis worse or not. Melatonin is anti-inflammatory. The condition can cause kernelization and aggravation, which can worsen Psoriasis in the long run. If you have this condition, you should visit your doctor for treatment.
4. Avoid smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol
Smoking is well-known to worsen Psoriasis symptoms or put at risk of developing the condition in the first place. Alcohol consumption has also been linked with worsening of Psoriasis.
Therefore, you should cut how much alcohol you drink daily. If you can, avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. Try cutting cigars and beers from your daily routine and start living a healthy lifestyle.
5. Keep your skin hydrated all the time
You can prevent your skin from spreading Psoriasis or worsening the condition by keeping hydrated all the time.
The first thing you do if you want to hydrate is to drink enough water daily. Keep your skin well hydrated by applying thick cream like petroleum jelly on your skin. This way, you keep the barrier intact and make the skin trauma less likely.
Use a humidifier to keep your skin moisturized during the winter. During the cold months of winter, your skin is most likely to dry up, and this increases the risk of Psoriasis worsening. If you want to keep your skin extra moisturized, you should install a humidifier in your home and use it whenever you are indoors.
Psoriasis is a skin condition that can worsen easily if you don’t take the necessary precautions. If you feel like your condition is worsening, you should practice the tips shared here. Most importantly, visit your doctor for treatments and more tips on how to prevent Psoriasis flare-ups.