New Zealand is a picturesque and beautiful country located in the Southern Hemisphere. It makes for an ideal choice for many international students due to the affordability of tuition fees and the calm and peaceful environment of the nation. Though the fee is affordable when compared to other advanced nations of the world, it might still appear quite high to many students.
This is why New Zealand offers many scholarships to international students so that their dream of an education in New Zealand is not interrupted due to financial constraints. Living abroad can be expensive, and a scholarship can take a huge load off. Now we can discuss some of the best scholarships that are available to students to study in New Zealand.
Scholarships by the government of New Zealand
The government seeks to provide scholarships to passionate young professionals who want to contribute to society in their home countries. Real-life problem-solving is the emphasis of these scholarships, and therefore fields like agriculture, public sector development, disaster management, etc., receive scholarships and concessions from the NZ government for undergraduate and postgraduate studies. The scholarship is open to students from Asia, Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean and the Commonwealth nations.
- Candidates must be 18 years or older to apply for the scholarship. There is no upper limit, but candidates within 40 years of age are preferred.
- Candidates must fulfil all criteria for obtaining the New Zealand student visa.
- English proficiency will be tested via standardised tests, and only those who pass the test will be eligible.
Scholarships for ASEAN residents
New Zealand offers special scholarships to students from the ASEAN (Association of South-East Asian Nations) nations so that they can gain knowledge and create an impact on the development of their home nation.
- Candidates must be 18 years or older to apply for the scholarship.
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of any ASEAN member country.
- Candidates must agree to return to their home country for a period of two years after the scholarship ends.
- Academic requirements of the colleges that a candidate is applying to must be met, along with passing standardised English proficiency tests.
- PhD students must decide on a supervisor before applying for the scholarship. Postgraduate students must have relevant and required work experience.
New Zealand international doctoral research scholarships
This scholarship is aimed at aiding PhD students who wish to pursue their doctoral research in NZ. Many universities accept candidates who have won this scholarship, which is awarded based purely on academic merit. This scholarship covers tuition fees, allows a book and thesis allowance, and provides a monthly living allowance, establishment allowance, health insurance allowance and a travel allowance.
- International students who have an average grade of ‘A’ throughout their academic career.
- Candidates must provide an Educational Credential Evaluation (ECE) Certificate.
- Candidates must meet the requirements for entering into a doctoral research program at a university in NZ. They must also provide evidence to prove they have discussed their potential research and have found a supervisor.
Doctoral scholarships by the University of Auckland
The University of Auckland is a highly rated university in New Zealand and is a great choice for PhD students. The scholarship is granted to highly talented students who have the potential for high achievements. These scholarships provide a grant of $28,500 per annum along with compulsory fees and international health insurance. It extends for three years and is available to international and domestic students.
- Excellent academic record throughout all levels of education.
Tongarewa Scholarships by the Victoria University of Wellington
This is especially for students with a great extracurricular background who can become all-rounders. The scholarship ranges from NZD 5,000 to NZD 10,000.
- For undergraduate or postgraduate candidates.
- Candidates must demonstrate academic excellence and should be applying to a university in New Zealand for the first time.
With these scholarships in New Zealand, a wide variety of students pursuing different subject areas can fulfil their dream of studying in New Zealand.