When we talk about pets, we talk not only about company and care, but also about responsibility. A good way to proceed is to have pet insurance, as it provides peace of mind in the face of certain unforeseen events.
What is pet insurance?
It is always good that you have insurance for your pet. Pet insurance is a product that guarantees the health and well-being of your companion, and that covers unforeseen expenses. However, some prefer not to get it because they think they won’t need it. In some cases it is imperative to contract pet insurance. Owners of dogs that are classified as potentially dangerous dog breeds must have an insurance policy that guarantees payments against possible compensation to affected people or things.
Like health or home insurance, a pet insurance policy offers legal protection against possible adversities or unforeseen events. In the event that, for example, our pet is considered a dangerous breed, having insurance is mandatory. Insurance companies offer a series of basic services for each pet. Additionally, owners can add a series of extra coverages, depending on the characteristics of the animal in question.
In the case of dogs, there are dogs that are potentially dangerous and, therefore, need to have dog-friendly homeowners insurance. Do you know which pets need insurance? To consider the level of danger of a dog, the law has stipulated three indicators:
– Animals that have attacked other dogs or people.
– Animals that have received training for defense and attack.
– Any dog belonging to the following breeds: American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Terrier, Doberman, Rottweiler, Fila Brasilero, Bullmastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Dogo Argentino, Dogue de Bordeaux, Japanese Tosa, Presa Canario , in addition to any of its crosses or hybrids.
One of the biggest advantages offered by this type of insurance is veterinary assistance. In the event that our pet suffers an accident or has to be intervened, we can cover part of the cost thanks to the insurance.
The veterinary consultation must be carried out periodically.
What does pet insurance usually include?
Obviously, this depends on the insurance we take out. But, in general, the basic package includes:
– Civil liability before third parties: offers coverage in case of material or personal damage.
– Compensation against theft.
– Accident insurance.
– Veterinary assistance: usually covers the costs of consultations and minor interventions, and sometimes includes a telephone assistance service.
If we want to expand coverage, companies offer other benefits. These may include more comprehensive veterinary assistance, free hospitalization or residence in the event of serious illness or intervention, and even coverage for death and cremation.
What requirements must be fulfilled?
It is important to point out that the insurance companies will ask us for a series of prerequisites that we must meet:
– The documentation of our pet must be in order.
– The vaccination record must also be up to date.
– Identification by microchip, if our pet has this.
– Certificate of species, breed and age.
Pet insurance: prices
With all this data, the company will calculate average insurance bundle cost, which will vary depending on the coverage we want to include.
Is it really worth it?
If we speak at an economic level, it is a question that does not have a single answer. Each owner must do his math and decide if he can afford basic insurance or can add some additional coverage. The health and well-being of our pets is as essential as our own well-being. Therefore, having pet insurance always provides a window of additional peace of mind in the face of what may happen.