Some of us look forward to winters to flaunt our winter fashion choices or simply for the love of the pristine white landscapes. However, the winter season comes with its own challenges for the skin. Many of us face dry and flaky skin. But why does the skin feel dry during winters? Let us understand what the cold weather does to the skin. We will also discuss how we can take care of our skin this winter season. The organic beauty and wellness industry also offers some very efficient products to care for dry skin. Lotus organics is one such brand that offers products with 100% certified organic ingredients. We will discuss how you can choose the best face cream for dry skin. Let’s get started.
How cold weather affects your skin
Before we talk about the solutions, let’s understand the problem in detail. The winter season is accompanied by low humidity and cold winds. Low humidity makes the winter air dry which strips the moisture off the skin. The windy weather also strips the skin of its natural oils, leaving it exposed and more prone to dryness. Furthermore, to keep ourselves warm we often use heaters. The heat further creates low humidity and low moisture environment, making the skin feel parched. Hot showers are another cause for dry skin as hot water can remove the natural oils from the skin. That is why, in order to maintain moisture, lukewarm water is more advisable.
Lastly and more importantly, cold weather can compromise the skin’s barrier. The outermost layer of the skin, scientifically known as the stratum corneum, acts as a skin barrier. It protects the skin against harsh environmental conditions and retains the moisture. In cold weather, this skin barrier weakens and hence, the skin becomes more susceptible to dryness.
How to choose the best winter face cream for dry skin
To choose the best winter face cream for dry skin, we need to understand which ingredients keep the skin hydrated and keep up the skin barrier. There are some effective ingredients in nature that are highly efficient and effective as skincare products.
The best ingredients in a winter face cream for dry skin
We now know that two factors are important to protect the skin from the adverse effects of cold weather. The first factor is to make sure that the skin is well hydrated. The second is to keep up the skin-barrier for protection. So, we need to look for face creams that are enriched with hydrating and barrier-repairing elements. Organic winter face creams for dry skin contain natural and nourishing ingredients. Let us look at some of these natural ingredients below:
- Shea Butter: Extracted from the nuts of the African Shea tree, this natural butter is rich in fatty acids and vitamins. This makes it a powerful moisturiser. Shea butter not only nourishes dry skin but also forms a protective layer in order to prevent moisture loss from the skin.
- Jojoba Oil: This oil is closest in constitution to our natural skin oils. This makes it an excellent moisturiser.
- Aloe Vera: It is well-known for its healing properties. It reduces inflammation and calms the irritated skin.
- Avocado Oil: It can penetrate the skin deeply and therefore it provides long-lasting hydration. It is rich in fatty acids, vitamins A and E, and antioxidants. The antioxidants in avocado oil also help protect the skin from environmental damage.
- Irish Moss: It has been in use in traditional medicines because of its high nutritional value. Scientifically known as Chondrus crispus, Irish moss is a type of red algae commonly found in the cold waters of the North Atlantic Ocean known for being a great source of vitamins and minerals. Its potential benefits in skincare have been recently uncovered. It contains a high amount of mucilage. Mucilage is a gelatinous substance that forms a protective layer over the skin. This mucilage helps to retain moisture in the skin thus making Irish Moss beneficial for dry and dehydrated skin. It also has anti-Inflammatory properties that are beneficial for soothing dry and irritated skin.
Owing to its multifold benefits of hydration, soothing, and nutrient support for the skin, some skin care brands like Lotus Organics+ have formulated some extraordinary products with Irish Moss as the key ingredient. The Divine Nutritive Cream is one of the best winter face creams for dry skin. The customer reviews of this product boasts of some excellent results in keeping the skin nourished and hydrated, making it radiant even in the winters.
Another product is the Divine Restorative Night Cream which is formulated with 100% certified organic Macadamia Nut Oil which replenishes nutrients to the skin at night. You can even look for combo offers for comprehensive skincare.
When considering a winter face cream, it’s important to look for products that prioritise natural and organic ingredients. Lotus Organics+ is a brand committed to sustainability and purity. Their products are formulated with 100% certified organic extracts. They are also vegan and cruelty-free. They are free from preservatives, sulphates and parabens. So, this winter season, let us care for our skin with the best organic winter face cream for dry skin.