Breast enhancement is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the United States. The procedure has been used by women to correct a variety of breast deformities and abnormalities over the years.
In this article, we will discuss what breast enhancement is, the different options available, some of the risks involved with having it done, and answer some frequently asked questions.
Let’s get started.
What Is a Breast Enhancement Procedure?
Breast enhancement, also known as breast augmentation or augmentation mammoplasty, involves the use of breast implants or fat transfer to enhance the size and shape of your breast.
What Breast Enhancement Procedure Can Do
- Enhance self-esteem
- Improve self-image and body confidence
- Improve the breast and hip contours
- Correct asymmetry between breasts
- Restore fullness and projection
- Improve breast volume (after pregnancy, breastfeeding, aging, and weight loss)
The procedure is performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon under general anesthesia and can take around two hours to complete. However, this procedure can take longer if combined with other procedures that help achieve the desired shape, size, and projection of the breast.
Additional procedures that can be combined with breast augmentation include:
- Breast lift
- Tummy tuck
What Are the Different Breast Enhancement Options?
There are several breast enhancement options available today. You can have a customized breast augmentation by choosing the type of implant you want, the incision location, and the implant placement.
The best way to decide on your ideal breast enhancement option is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who will help guide you in making an informed decision.
Board-certified surgeons have extensive experience in this field and are trained to perform all types of cosmetic procedures.
Types of Implants
- Saline breast implants: These implants are filled with sterile saline solution and are best for women who desire pronounced breast profiles and are cheaper compared to silicone implants.
- Silicone breast implants: These implants are filled with a cohesive silicone gel which requires regular checkups. They are ideal for patients who desire a more natural-looking breasts.
- Gummy bear: These implants are also known as form-stable breast implants. They are made of a highly cohesive silicone gel that helps them maintain their form-stable shape giving the breast a more natural look and feel.
You may also want to consider a fat transfer procedure that can provide natural results without any surgical incisions or downtime.
What Are the Side Effects of Breast Enhancement?
Breast enhancement is an FDA-approved procedure that is safe and helps achieve desired results. However, just as with any other cosmetic surgery, several risks and complications need to be considered before undergoing the procedure.
The most common side effects include:
- Pain or tenderness in the breasts
- Numbness of the nipple area
- Infection at the surgical site or breast implant pocket (if ruptured)
- Capsular contracture (hardening of scar tissue around breast implants)
- Changes in nipple color (darkening or lightening)
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Breast Enhancement Surgery?
Breast enhancement surgery is a procedure that enlarges breasts by increasing the shape and volume of breast tissue. The most common techniques for enlarging the breasts are using breast implants and fat transfer.
What Are the Benefits of Breast Enhancement Surgery?
Breast enhancement surgery has several benefits including:
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem
- Help correct asymmetry between breasts
- Helps to create a more proportionate look on your chest
- Help increase the size of your breast
- Improved posture and physical health
What Is the Recovery Time for Breast Enhancement?
Breast enhancement recovery surgery depends on the type of procedure you had and your overall health. Most patients take an average of six weeks for swelling to go down and eight weeks for you to be fully recovered after your surgery.
How Do I Choose a Plastic Surgeon?
Choosing a plastic surgeon is a big decision. You want to be confident that you’re making the right choice for yourself, and your body.
Here are some questions to help you make the best decision.
- What are your credentials?
- How long have you been practicing?
- What is your approach to patient education?
- How many procedures like mine have you done?
- What is your success rate?
- Do you have before and after photos of patients?
- Do you have any recommendations?
- What are your credentials?
- What is your experience with breast enhancement surgery?
- Do you know the latest techniques and technologies available for my procedure?
What Happens During My Consultation?
During your consultation with our plastic surgeon, he or she will discuss with you all aspects of this procedure as well as answer any questions or concerns that you might have. They will also explain the benefits of breast augmentation and make sure that you understand the risks involved.
How Long Will It Take?
The procedure typically takes about two hours, but can vary depending on your unique needs and if additional procedures are done at the same time such as a breast lift.