What is a linear actuator? You will be surprised to learn how necessary it is for the proper functioning of the technique that people use daily.
Linear actuators are an integral part of everyday life, whether you want to open a window, adjust your solo ryzer desk or TV/monitor lifts or simply fold a bed for more free space. The simple yet effective device allows manual functions to be transformed into automated functions, saving time and health.
A variety of linear actuator uses make it a must-have piece of equipment in any industry. How can it be used in the healthcare sector?
What is a Linear Actuator?
A linear actuator is a device that moves between two points, enabling a safe and accurate motion. It converts a certain type of rotating force and then applies it to perform a line or linear movement.
The power can come from a crank or an electric motor. The Push and Pull action enables the unit to slide, tilt, and lift objects by pressing a button.
There are 3 main types of linear actuators in production:
What is a Linear Actuator Used For?
Linear actuators are installed in the majority of devices that people use on a day-to-day basis, such as printers, computers, sprayers, valves, etc. The choice of this mechanism is based on the product that a manufacturer will produce:
- Hydraulic actuators are used primarily for the movement of heavy loads and the actuation of hydraulic cylinders.
- Pneumatic actuators are suitable for extremely quick applications. They are used to power the pistons and the ignition chamber.
- Electromechanical actuators offer the highest level of accuracy and accuracy compared to the above option.
Most common application fields for linear actuators:
- Agricultural machinery (exposure of herbicides, soil fertilizing, etc.);
- Food production industry (automated operations such as packing, processing, timely distribution, timely delivery, etc.);
- Cutting equipment (provide accurate cuts);
- Manufacturing facilities (loads delivery from point A to point B);
- Robotics (ensure movement);
- Solar panel operation (ensure the possibility to track the sun and adjust to the sunlight);
- Valve operation;
- Window automation.
Where are Linear Actuators Used in the Health Industry?
The healthcare industry is a booming industry, aimed at providing hygienic and safe environments, and effective healthcare solutions for all patients.
The need for improved efficiency and ergonomics was a prerequisite for the application of numerous automated solutions. Nowadays, every piece of medical equipment is driven by either motors or electronics.
There are two types of actuators in the health industry:
- Custom electric actuators;
- Linear actuators.
Nursing home equipment is designed in a manner that guarantees high performance, easy maintenance, and durability.
Types of actuator applications within a health sector:
- Adjustable hospital beds;
- Bath lifts;
- Dental chairs;
- Electric tables/coaches;
- Home care beds;
- Medical testing mechanisms;
- Nursing home beds;
- Operating table with parts, adjustable to support a head, angles, feet, etc.;
- Patient lifts (mechanical/electric);
- Rehabilitation devices;
- Treatment chairs;
Linear and electric actuators lend a helping hand in moving patients around medical facilities and hospitals. Their reliability keeps medical personnel and patients safe from injury.