Eyelash extensions, also known as lash extensions or lash enhancements, are semi-permanent fibers applied to your natural eyelashes to lengthen, thicken, and darken your lash fringe. Using a semi-permanent glue, lash extensions are applied to your natural eyelashes one by one.
Eyelash extensions can be crafted from various materials, including synthetic hair, mink hair, faux hair, or silk fibers, though the exact materials used will vary from studio to studio. A wide range of extension lengths, curl patterns, and color options are available at most salons.
This article is about Eyelash 101, with everything you need to know about eyelash extensions in Austin.
The Three Types of Eyelash Extensions
Eyelash extensions can be made from mink hair, silk, or synthetic. It’s worth noting that some salons offer “faux mink” extensions, which are just synthetic versions of real mink fur. Most lash studios will use their preferred lash extension brand regardless of whether or not you have a preference. It is important to request that mink lash extensions not be used if you are vegan or have a cat allergy. Although mink and silk lashes look more natural, synthetic lashes can be thicker and darker, making them a better choice for those who want a more dramatic effect.
You can pick from a wide range of lengths and curl patterns in each of the three types of hair (mink, silk, and synthetic) listed above. To achieve a wide-eyed appearance, your lash artist will likely use lashes of varying lengths and curl strengths, focusing on the outer corners of your eyes.
The Benefits of Eyelashes
- Long, beautiful lashes that flutter when you wake up are yours semi-permanently after getting lash extensions. Everyone who undergoes the procedure claims their eyes look significantly better.
- In general, dermatologists, plastic surgeons, and estheticians agree that lash extensions are safe.
- Working with your lash artist, you can achieve a look that is as subtle or dramatic as you like by adjusting the length and curl of your extensions.
- Most people will feel no discomfort or pain throughout the entire procedure.
- While you should avoid getting your eyelash extensions wet for the first 48 hours, you can still take a shower, swim, and sweat while wearing them. However, the longer they last depend on how dry you keep them.
The Duration of Eyelash Extensions
Eyelash extensions can be retouched. Your eyelashes are always in various stages of development, with some preparing to fall out and others keeping intact. Since each extension adheres to a single natural lash, it will shed along with the natural lash. Your lash extensions should last up to a month before you need a “refill” appointment, provided that you aren’t hastening the natural shedding process by rubbing your eyes, applying mascara, or compromising the glue with oily eye products.
Refills are required every two to four weeks to maintain the best result unless you are in the process of transitioning away from extensions. After about two to four weeks, you may notice a more disorganized look as new natural lashes come in and lashes with an extension attached begin to fall out. It is because each of your lashes is at a different stage in the growth cycle.
In need of a makeover? Get your eyelash extensions in Austin today!