Gutter systems, as you know, are not a whim, but a direct necessity. People used the first prototypes of drains in ancient times. Primitive, but already fulfilling their main function, some kind of drains existed even then. From wooden partitions and boards, humanity gradually moved to cast iron, then to steel, etc.
Today, there are many types of drainage systems, but they all perform one main function: the removal of water from the building. Constant ingress of moisture can lead, at best, to flaking of the plaster. At worst, the destruction of the facade and foundation.
The gutter system is a complex constructor, consisting of many parts that, together with a single mechanism, perform one role. Gutters are made of different materials and can be located outside the building or inside. We will talk about this in more detail later in this article. Also read of Gutter cleaning Chicago with WindowWashingExpert.com.
What are modern gutters made of?
As mentioned above, the material for the manufacture of drainage systems can be different. For some specific situations, for example, steel gutter systems are suitable. In other cases, plastic drainage systems, etc. are more useful.
- Steel gutters. For the manufacture of such drainage systems, galvanized steel of various thicknesses is used. Steel gutter systems are popular in modern construction because of their durability and reliability. High-quality steel gutters can last more than 15 years, are considered stable and durable, but they are prone to corrosion and rust.
- Gutters made of metal-plastic or PVC. No less popular drainage systems than metal ones. They are made of metal coated with protective colored polymers or plastic. The service life of such drainage systems can reach more than 50 years. In addition, metal-plastic and PVC gutters are available in a huge range of colors, so in this regard they are superior to metal counterparts. Plus, they are resistant to corrosion and do not rust.
- Aluminum drainage systems. Aluminum gutters are attractive in appearance and are light in weight. This factor greatly simplifies the process of their transportation and installation. Minus gutters made of aluminum – insufficient strength. Pluses – absolute protection against corrosion.
- Titanium drains. Such drainage systems are considered almost eternal. They are durable, resistant to any impact and can serve the owners for more than 100 years. Among other things, titanium gutter systems are quite flexible, but they are not cheap either.
- Gutter systems made of copper. Any design made of copper looks noble and attracts the eye. Copper drainage systems have the highest performance and high cost.
What is the best drainage system?
Now the debate continues on the topic of which drain is still better: metal or PVC. It is impossible to answer this question unambiguously, because, as mentioned above, different drains are suitable for different situations. In private construction, plastic gutter systems have become more popular. In the state, they often use metal ones. If the drains are located inside the building, aluminum can be used, because they will not be subject to heavy loads. Classic external gutter systems must be durable, so the material can be anything. The main thing is that it can withstand certain loads.
Advantages of metal gutters
- Strength and stability. Steel and metal gutters perfectly resist mechanical and any other influences, without losing their positive properties.
- Durability. Depending on the material of manufacture, the operational life of metal gutters can vary from 20 to 100 years on average.
Advantages of PVC gutters
- Anti-corrosion properties. PVC gutters do not rust, rot or corrode.
- Quiet operation. During rainfall, they do not create unnecessary noise.
- Durability. Their service life is less than that of metal ones, but also worthy – more than 50 years.
- Lightness. This factor makes PVC gutters easy to transport and install. In addition, they do not carry a large load on the roofing system of the house.
Gutter cleaning and maintenance
In order for gutters and drains to serve for a long time, they need regular cleaning at least twice a year – in spring and autumn. In autumn, leaves and debris often fall into the gutters, in winter – ice or snow. Both contaminate them and interfere with normal functioning. Click here for more information on cleaning gutters https://windowwashingexpert.com/gutter-cleaning/gutters-drains-arlington-heights/.
In order to choose the right drain for you, you need to rely on your specific situation and all the circumstances arising from it.