Working on hot summer days becomes bearable when you have a handy fridge nearby to store your food and drinks. However, it doesn’t only help at work, but also at home. You might have some summer DIY plans in mind that you want to carry out in the garage. In such cases, a fridge can be good company.
We know you might be wondering if it is a good decision to have a garage ready refrigerator considering the cost. However, worry not because there are plenty of more affordable options in the market now. So let’s find out the benefits of having such an item and its convenience.
How to Know if You Need a Garage Ready Refrigerator?
It’s quite common in US households to have a second fridge, with one usually being in the garage or basement. So, if you’re wondering if it’s a common thing or not: it’s quite common. However, if you want to make sure that you really need a garage fridge, here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Is your garage temperature suitable for a new fridge or the one you currently have?
- How much time do you spend in the garage? Would it be wise to place a fridge there?
- Do you need some extra space to store the groceries that won’t fit in the main fridge?
- Do you really need an extra place to stock up on groceries or edibles?
- Would you be able to manage the extra expense of the new fridge?
Once you answer these questions, you will have a clear idea of whether you should get a fridge installed in your garage or not. Nevertheless, we have compiled some benefits of having a garage fridge. Let’s take a look at them.
5 Benefits of Using a Garage Ready Refrigerator
Here are a few benefits of getting a refrigerator in your garage. These points might help you make a better decision regarding your purchase and its practicality.
- If you don’t find time to do groceries too often, you can stock up on them and keep them stored in the extra fridge.
- If you have friends over a lot, you might spend some time in the garage doing projects or just having fun. In this case, you can grab a drink or something to eat from the garage fridge rather than going into the house for it.
- Storing bottles in the fridge takes up a lot of space. Hence, a garage ready refrigerator can be used to keep those bottles while you keep the other grocery in the main fridge.
- If you’re someone who prepares the meals for the week beforehand, you might need some extra space to keep the grocery and the prepped food. A garage ready fridge can be helpful for that. You could store your prepped meals in it and grab them on the go.
- If your kitchen is too far from your garage, it might be difficult to carry some groceries inside the house—for example, a carton of milk boxes. So, you can keep those heavy items in the garage fridge instead and take them out when needed.
Why Shouldn’t You Use a Regular Refrigerator in the Garage?
Many people wonder why they should get a garage ready refrigerator and not a basic one. Well, in some cases, you can run a regular fridge in your garage. For instance, if you live in a place with consistent temperatures throughout the year and your fridge works on the desired temperature range, you can use it in the garage.
However, if that’s not the case, it is always better to get a garage model. There are many problems that can arise if you use a basic fridge in the garage. For instance, the warranty will go void, or your fridge will stop working at all.
Moreover, if you use a regular fridge in the garage, its temperature may rise up and lead to more energy consumption. As a result, it won’t be efficient enough and will also need a lot of repairs. Let’s not forget the added expenses in the electricity bill.
One problem with older fridge models is that the freezer doesn’t work correctly if the temperature of the environment isn’t correct. If the place gets too cold or too hot, your fridge will not be able to work at all.
Another problem with using a regular fridge in the garage is that it can lead to extra moisture. And if you keep your garage closed, it might start smelling weird too.
Get a Garage Ready Refrigerator
If you’re planning to get a fridge for your garage, get one that fits to stay there. Don’t think of placing an older model in there just to save a few bucks. Because it will eventually end up costing more than the garage ready model.
Newer fridge models are better than the older ones for a reason. They are made to be energy-efficient and more user-friendly. The different types of these fridges are made so you can use them to the best of your abilities.
The garage fridges are made with the sole purpose of operating in environments like that. Their insulation and components are designed in such a way that they can handle extreme temperatures.
Not only will it save your electricity bill but also the repair costs and maintenance. Also, these fridge models are better for the planet as well.
Garage refrigerators are the best choice if you want extra storage space in the house. However, don’t confuse it with an outdoor refrigerator since it is made for a different purpose.
Garage ready display refrigerators are made to operate in uninsulated and unheated places like your basement or the garage. So make sure you don’t confuse the two and choose the correct one.
Now that you’re aware of the benefits of having a garage refrigerator and the problems of using a basic fridge in the garage, what’s your decision? Will you be opting for the costly option and using a basic fridge, or will you buy a convenient option: the garage ready one?